Friday, October 12, 2012

IM CdA Race Report Part 3: Run!



Run (5:13:13)

Course overview: The run course was two out-and-backs on the Centennial Trail along the north end
Wish I could've had some champagne too
of the lake (just like the first part of the bike course).  There were a couple of little baby hills and one bigger one, but overall the course was pretty flat.  My favorite part was the lawn full of partying college students just east of the Sander’s Beach area - they cheered extra loud if you danced along with their music. 

Sarah = super fan
As I expected from my long bricks in training, my first couple of miles were really fast, I think under 8 min/mile.  A lot of the people around me were on their second lap, so they weren’t really smiling or looking too spritely.  Between my huge smile and bright pink tank top, I stood out, and lots of cheers were directed my way.  I enjoyed it while I could and hoped that the same spectators wouldn’t be around when 13 miles later,
Yep, spectating looks pretty rough
when I figured I’d look just as tired.  My plan (hope? dream? illusion?) was to run the whole marathon and only walk the aid stations.  This lasted until the second hill on the way out of town, when I decided it would be more efficient to walk and save some energy for later.  Of course walking felt really good and it was pretty hard to start running at the top.  I didn’t follow my normal nutrition plan on the run (only gels and water), which led to some stomach issues that also made me walk more than I’d wanted. Towards the end of the bike I had been so sick of chews and sports drink that I hadn’t really been taking in many calories and my appetite came back with a vengeance when it was presented with the chips, cookies, pretzels and fruit that were at the run aid stations.  It turns out that stuffing yourself with high-sugar solid foods and then running immediately after is a really good way to give yourself a stomach ache.
Nate (in white), finishing strong

Fireman Rob doing the marathon in full gear, check out his website: http://www.firemanrob.com/
















The low point of the race came right around the halfway point of the marathon.  I hadn’t put anything in my run special needs bag and there weren’t any aid stations in the center of town, so there was a two mile stretch where I wasn’t taking in any calories.  Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal, but considering that I'd already been racing for 12 hours, that I was walking so it took me longer to cover
Still smiling...
those two miles, and that I’d been trying to take in less at the last few aid station so my stomach wouldn’t hurt, I was feeling pretty weak.  I felt tired and pissed off and I had been worrying about Nate and his injured leg for most of the first lap (I had seen him on my way out but wasn’t sure if he was finishing his first or second lap) and so I snapped at my mom when she was trying cheering for me at the same time that I was trying to ask her if he had finished (he had, in 11:07:36, good enough for 4th in his age group and all with a stress fracture in his femur!).  I wanted to punch some lady when she whispered “you’re going to be an Ironman” to me like it was some sort of secret.  I wanted to say “yeah, I f-ing know!  I’m the one who’s been out here for 12 hours, I’m sure not giving up now!”  I’d been smiling and positive the rest
...and now grumpy.
of the day, but at that point I just wanted food, and I wasn’t sure if I had enough energy to make it the mile back to the aid station.  Luckily, Sarah walked along with me for a while and got me pumped to keep going.  When she stopped and headed back into town, my friends Nate (not the one who had just finished racing) and Meredith appeared and walked with me to the next aid station.  I’m really thankful all of them were there.  I’m sure I was never close to passing out or choosing to stop or anything, but there was a certain comfort in knowing that someone was going to be with you for a little ways, while the rest of the day was spent by yourself.
More excitement at the finish line
After a ways my stomach started feeling better and I realized that I wasn’t going to earn my tattoo at this rate (I had decided beforehand that I would only get one if a) I enjoyed it enough that I wanted to do another Ironman and b) I worked hard.  You might say that there’s no way to not work hard in an Ironman and to a certain extent that’s true, but I could have walked the rest of the marathon and still finished before midnight and that would've been easier) so I went back to my previous plan of running as much as I could and walking the aid stations.  Around this time it started to get dark, so the glow sticks and chicken broth came out (yes, I had some, plant-based diet be damned, I was cold and it was delicious!).  I hit the turn around on the lake shore right as the sun was setting and headed back into town in much better spirits.


The last 6 miles of the race were pretty awesome.  I was tired and sweaty, and if I hadn’t been back to running, I would’ve been really cold (next time I’ll put food and a jacket in my special needs bag, even if I don’t think I’ll be out in the dark), but I was happy, cheering on everyone I passed and hoping that they’d make it to the finish line.  It was a completely different “race” now; all the neighborhoods were quiet and dark, the lake was calm and peaceful under the stars.  I kind of took that time to reflect on the day and thank my mind and body for taking me so far.  

As I got closer to town, I could hear the music from the finish line and Mike Reilly’s voice calling people’s names as they crossed.  It was a gentle downhill to the finish, and the closer I got, the faster I ran.  I remember one volunteer telling me to relax my shoulders as I turned the final corner.  I think I remember seeing some of my family members jumping and cheering on the street before I hit the finisher’s chute.  I ran back and forth across it, giving as many high fives as I could, and crossed in 14:59:22.  As evidenced by the broad smiles in my picture, I felt pretty good.  Even writing this over three months later, and enjoying the break from regimented training, I can’t wait to do another.

After the race:

Me and Dad!
After the getting my medal and taking pictures with my family, I hung out in the food tent for a while and ate a mountain of cheese-less pizza and fruit.  I was surprised by how hungry I was then and more surprised when I wasn’t really hungry the next day or the day after.  My knees seized up while I was eating and I had pretty hard time getting up and down the bleachers at the finish line, but Nate and I stayed and cheered until the last official finisher made it across.  It was kind of hard falling asleep that night and even harder to get out of bed the next morning.  My legs just would not function.  If I wanted to turn over in bed, I had to use my arms to flip my legs, and then turn.  That lasted through Monday, but by Tuesday afternoon (when we had our tattoo appointments…) they were back to functioning and I could walk up and down stairs without too much trouble.  I even went on a short bike ride later that week.

Nate and Meredith!
So now it’s October, I’ve settled back into lab and I'm studying for prelims.  I’m running a marathon in a week and a half but I still feel like a fat, lazy slug by comparison.  I didn’t experience the “post-Ironman blues” in the way that I was expecting, but they’ve probably been there in some form or another.  I think the hardest part (aside from getting used to eating less) is letting go of the idea that I need to be super active and fit to deserve the title of Ironman.  I think that after this marathon I’ll hang up my road running shoes for a while and try out new types of exercise.  I want to explore the
New ink - it hurt worse than the race
trails behind the U more, do more yoga and regain the flexibility I had before Ironman (and maintain it during the next one) and try boot-camp and self-defense classes at a nearby studio, basically just mix things up.  I’d like to acquire some more balance in my life so that when it comes time for the next big endurance event (Comrades, perhaps?), that I can prepare for it without giving up everything else I care about. 
Two Ironmen!

Thanks to all my friends and family for putting up with my Ironman obsessions and insecurities.  A huge thanks to Sarah for driving up from Utah for the race, that meant a lot to me.  And thanks to Nate for convincing me that we could do this, I look forward to the next one :)

Some numbers:

Total Race Time: 14:59:22
Calories burned: 6599
Expenses over the year: $ 5643.63 (not including extra gas for training or racing or extra normal food.  I probably spent less on beer over that 7 months than normal though...)
- If anyone has just signed up for an Ironman and wants a better breakdown of how I managed to only spend $5600 (yes, that’s cheap for an Ironman), just let me know.
I usually hate pictures of myself, but I like this one.  Apparently 15 hours worth of sweat and endorphins is a good look for me.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! A proud moment and memory. Are you going to be doing anymore Ironman races? After finishing, is there anything you would do differently, or any advice for someone's first Ironman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! How did your race go? I definitely want to do another Ironman, probably not for a couple years though. As for doing things differently, I probably would have gotten at least one private swim lesson at the beginning of training to correct any major inefficiencies in my stroke. I probably also would have focused more on bike training and done more higher resistance sessions on my trainer. I didn't even use my big ring until about half way through training. Any amount of time that I could have taken off the bike course really would have helped on the run. Mentally, I think I was pretty prepared. If you're a first timer, I would recommend visualizing things going wrong, especially if you're scared of the swim (like I was). Picture how you'll react if you get kicked and how you'll recover if you panic. Take your goggle off for at least a little bit of an open water swim. If you want to lose weight, focus on it at the beginning or even before you start training, it'll be way too stressful to do it later. Make a specific plan for your race nutrition, figure out what makes you happy when you get grumpy in the middle of the race, put a long sleeved shirt and some food in your run special needs bag! (Even if you're super-fast, you never know what might go wrong).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! Thanks for responding.  Stop by and visit my blog some time.  Would love to trade stories from time to time.
    http://goeasylife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete