Monday, November 21, 2011

Two week update and start of official training!

So its been a busy couple of weeks... I started feeling better within two days of eating oatmeal and quinoa again.  It was mentally difficult to reduce my animal protein intake, and I started craving sugar again.  After 4 weeks without any wheat or dairy I added some back in in the form of cookies.  I was extremely emotional the day after eating them (probably due to the sugar) and more constipated than I had been since ending my paleo diet.  This also reconfirmed that I have zero self-control with desserts.  I had at least half a dozen cookies two nights in a row.  Granted, they were delicious, but not really necessary.  In the coming weeks, especially with the holidays coming, my goal will be to avoid wheat and dairy as much as possible, and enjoy it in moderation when its worth it (for example, my step-mom's pie over Thanksgiving).  I'll experiment with gluten-free flour and fruit-juice sweetened desserts for my own enjoyment, or to take to potlucks (we've been having a lot of first-year grad student pot lucks).

Workout-wise, I got back in the pool for the first time, it felt great!  I was a lot more tired in the afternoons/evenings though, which made studying difficult.  I did a total of 6 hours of aerobic work and two strength sessions that week, which was manageable time/energy-wise.  The plan was to repeat the same workouts last week, but school was so stressful that I took the week off and studied instead.  I also moved last weekend, rather unexpectedly.  It was becoming more and more apparent that I needed to live on my own.  The stress of school and training was wearing on me, and coming home hungry to a full or dirty kitchen did not help.  An apartment opened up in the same building as one of my good friends here, its close to campus and heat in included in the rent, so I won't freeze this winter.  Aside from spending all last weekend moving (which put me behind homework-wise), its been great being in my own place.  I have an entire fridge and freezer to fill up, I was able to have friends over for brunch on Saturday and I can come home grumpy as a bear and not have to be nice to anyone. 

So here I am, 31 weeks away from Ironman CdA.  Today is a rest day (although I am fully rested I figure its a good way to start the week).  I have 6 hours of aerobic work scheduled this week.  I'm heading up to Spokane on Wednesday for Thanksgiving, but there's a fitness center with a pool and stationary bikes I can use.  I'm excited to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment