Saturday, October 15, 2011

First Marathon!

So I didn't write much during my two taper weeks because I wasn't really doing or feeling anything exciting.  I did have a bad dream two nights before the race in which I: slept through my alarm and got the race late, forgot my watch, forgot my handheld water bottle, forgot to put my timing chip on, started the race 3 minutes late and then discovered that the entire 26.2 miles was an obstacle course.  Luckily none of those things happened today, probably because my dream made me so paranoid.

Anyway, my first full marathon was a success!  My goal was to finish in under 4 hours, but also not to walk, not to have stomach issues and to have as strong a finish as possible.  I finished in 4:05, right next to my friend and training partner, Holly.  The course was a little hillier than I expected, or at least the hill at mile 4 was bigger than I expected (over a mile long...).  My stomach behaved, I did walk through some of the aid stations so I could eat gels and refill my water bottle more easily, but other than that, I ran the whole way.  I REALLY wanted to walk portions of the last half, especially the last two miles; I think the only reason I didn't was that I still had hopes of finishing in under 4 hours, but knew walking would quickly undermine that.  I ended up getting 2nd place in my age group (Holly got 1st!) so we both get free entries in to next year's race, which even at this point doesn't sound too awful.

Physically, I feel really good at this point.  After all 3 of my half marathons my stomach has really hurt and I've barely been able to stay awake long enough to drive myself home.  This time I was able to eat plenty of food walk around and I even felt hyper on the drive home!  And I think I only had two gels with caffeine in them.  I finished the race 5.5 hrs ago, I just ate a full meal, and I'm still full of energy!  My legs are starting to hurt more so I am in bed as I write this, but I'm surprised I'm not asleep yet.  Must be those endorphins I hear so much about.

Anyway, I'm really glad I did this race; the aid stations and finish line were really well-stocked and all the intersections had police directing traffic, only one lady was an idiot and almost hit me.  I'm glad that Holly and I got to train together and finish the race together.  And I really glad that I enjoyed most of the race!  (as much as you can expect to enjoy running for 4 hours at least...

Okay, now maybe its nap time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment