Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 2 of Paleo Trial diet



Workouts:

Monday: 1 mile warm up on treadmill, circuit room weights (3 x20 of light weights on each machine)
-          Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple and pumpkin and chia seeds.  Egg and tomato.
-          Lunch: Spinach salad with tomato, ¼ avocado, ½ can tuna in water, baked butternut squash, olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
-          Snacks: ½ apple, banana with almond butter, almonds
-          Dinner: Lamb braised in chicken stock, white wine and tomato puree, kale salad with avocado dressing, sliced beets and chopped walnuts. 
-          Dessert: Nut-butter brownie with frozen strawberries.
Tuesday: 32 min AM run (upper body felt sore from weights yesterday, had a hard time running with good posture, shoulders kept wanting to come forward), bike to class and lab.
-          Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and pecans.
-          Lunch: Repeat of Monday’s lunch, with steamed beets instead of tomatoes.
-          Snacks: Banana and almond butter, almonds and raisins.
-          Dinner: Steamed salmon with leftover veggies and eggplant braised in tomato sauce (same kind as on lamb on Monday).
Wednesday: Quick trip to gym for abs, with 10 min warm up of the elliptical. 45 min trail run/hike (ended up trying to get as far up the hill behind lab as I could, the trip down wasn’t much fun, think I was following a rain run-off “trail” rather than a human-made trail.)  Was in a great mood all day!
-          Breakfast: 2 eggs (omelet style but not folded) with most of sautéed zucchini, ¼ tomato, 1.4 avocado, spinach and an orange.
-          Lunch: Butternut squash, beets, zucchini, chicken sausage and spinach
-          Snacks: Carrot sticks and Trader Joe’s trail mix pack
-          Dinner: Leftover eggplant in tomato sauce on top of microwaved red potatoes.  Attempted to make a smoothie with kale, beets, a pear and cranberry juice.  The flavor was good but the pieces of kale were too big/there was too much of it.  Very filling though; didn’t have room for the delicious-looking pork chops I broiled…
Thursday: Set up my bike trainer! (It’s weird how I have no problem getting up around 5:30 when I’m in bed by 10…)Spun for 30 minutes, got very bored staring at the garage wall, looking forward to watching lots of Netflix documentaries.  Biked to lab with bike shoes on for the first time since the crayfish incident.  Success! 
-          Breakfast: Oatmeal with whole peach, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and walnuts. Fried egg with spinach.
-          Lunch: Salad with green apples, toasted almonds, dried cranberries and vinaigrette dressing.
-          Snacks: Carrot sticks, pears, almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds.
-          Dinner: Broiled pork chop with apple sauce, leftover eggplant with tomato sauce on top of spinach.
Friday: 45 minutes of bike trainer (watched episode of NCIS online, sat up and drank during 30 s limited commercial breaks, worked well).
-          Breakfast: Sirloin steak, sautéed zucchini, peach.
-          Lunch: Spinach salad with steak, raw zucchini, tomato, ¼ avocado, balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.
-          Snacks: Almond –milk yogurt, apple, banana, orange juice.
-          Dinner: Pork chop with applesauce, steamed broccoli and carrots, quinoa.
Saturday: 1:45 run (was supposed to be 1:30, but was exploring and ended going farther before I could re-cross I-80 and head home).
-          Pre-run: Banana and teaspoonful of almond butter, 3 Clif ShotBloks
-          During run: 16 oz water with Nuun tablet, Hammer Nutrition Gel (no caffeine)
-          Breakfast (Post-run): Oatmeal with pumpkin and chia seeds and raisins, 2 fried eggs with tomato and avocado, bowl of fruit salad, earl grey tea.
-          Lunch: Yam and sautéed zucchini and tomatoes
-          Snacks: Carrots, roasted pumpkin seeds
-          Dinner: Quinoa, steamed broccoli and carrots, steak
Sunday:
-          Breakfast: Omelet with spinach, avocado, mushrooms and ham. Fresh fruit
-          Lunch: Banana
-          Dinner: Fruit salad, steak, squash
Thoughts:
                So I’m one and a half weeks into my trial Paleo diet, and getting farther into reading The China Study by T. Colin Campbell – which outlines the multitude of connections between cancer and consuming animal protein.  I’ve been feeling pretty good so far, but I ended up with a pretty bad headache after my run on Saturday, which has never happened before.  This might’ve been due to the colder weather or the change in my diet; those are the only things that have changed since my last long run.  I’ll see how I feel after next week’s run, but at the moment I’m leaning towards switching back to something resembling my old diet after my 30-day trial.  I’d still cut out wheat, dairy and processed sugar (they go pretty much hand in hand anyway) and reduce my meat consumption to one or two times per week, as it was before.  My plan is to add legumes back in first to see how they make me feel, because if I’m going to reduce my meat consumption, I’ll need to be able to digest beans well.  I won’t go overboard on consuming grains in the name of carbo-loading, but I also won’t restrict my quinoa and brown rice intake to after workouts.  There’s simply no way I could cut out meat and limit grains and still get enough to eat.  But we’ll see, there’s a couple weeks left for me to change my mind several times.
                In other news, my knees were a little more sore than usual during my run on Saturday, I think this is from the new strain biking is putting on them; I definitely need to get back into yoga soon since this usually helps my knees too.  I still haven’t swam…  Biking on a trainer is definitely boring and holding an aero position for very long is definitely challenging.  School is simultaneously boring and challenging.  Actually part of the challenge is that my classes are so boring I have trouble paying attention, and subsequently don’t absorb much of the material.  Otherwise life is good.     
                 
Motivation:
















No comments:

Post a Comment