Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 11: a little sick


Monday 2/6/2012
Rest day! I got a massage in the evening, which was flippin’ awesome.  I went for the deep tissue massage and it definitely worked out some of the knots in my back.  I’m not sure if they’ll stay loosened up after tomorrow’s swim workout though, I think start getting one every couple of weeks, preferably on a Sunday so I have a full day to enjoy the effects.  There’s a massasge school close to campus that has pretty good rates, so I might actually be able to afford biweekly massages without selling my liver, which is good cuz I’ll need to sell that to pay for race wheels...

Tuesday 2/7/2012
Another shitty swim workout.  I think Thursday’s went so well because I did it later in the morning after fully digesting my normal breakfast.  I had some baked oatmeal about 45 minutes before starting this workout and I don’t feel like it made it to my muscles until the last part.  It’s most convenient for me to swim first thing in the morning, but I don’t want to start getting up at 3 to have breakfast for my 5 AM swim.  I’ll try 2 gels before Thursday’s and see if they get into my system fast enough without making me sick.  Also, swim workouts are longer now (~3000 yards instead of 2500) and I’ll start doing one on Friday’s as well, so now I get to fall asleep in class 3 days a week.  Yay!

Wednesday 2/8/2012
Lifted weights, biked 45 minutes and ran 30 minutes.

Thursday 2/9/2012
I swam faster than my lane-mate this morning!  I think she was a beginner, because she seemed really confused when I asked to split the lane with her, but still – small victories.  My main workout was 16x25 yrds with 10 seconds rest in between, 600 yards with a pull buoy (no paddles) and another 16x25.  Normally the 16x25 workouts annoy me, but I really enjoyed this one.  Doing the 600 Pull really changed my stroke for the rest of the workout.  I stopped using my legs as much, but had better hip rotation so my times were pretty much the same, but my heart rate was much lower.  
 
In the afternoon I started feeling a little sick, so I took a nap and did my 1:15 bike workout while watching Gonzaga beat St. Mary’s (Go Zags!!!).  It’s another recruiting weekend, so I went to dinner before the game and a salad, and no free beer, so I’d still be able to ride.  Some of my friends were giving me a hard time for being so healthy but I wasn’t about to tell them it was because I still had to workout.  I’m already enough of a walking stereotype.  

Friday 2/10/2012
I don’t feel well. This is not allowed.

Saturday 2/11/2012
I slept most of yesterday, only getting up to go to class or fulfill my recruitment weekend duties.  I skipped the evening portion of it, and since that included free food and beer, I knew I wasn’t just convincing myself I was sick to get out of my workouts.  I didn’t do my swim or hour long run, but I think it was worth it.

I woke up today feeling a little better, still a little feverish, but I thought I’d attempt a fairly easy bike work out.  I kept my rpm’s and heart rate pretty low and made it through 2 hours feeling alright.  I didn’t sweat as much as usual, but I’m not sure if that was due to being sick or just working at a lower intensity.   I still don’t feel 100%, but I don’t think I made myself any worse, so I’ll still try to run tomorrow.  

I don’t know if it’s mostly due to being sick but I’m feeling very overwhelmed.  I feel like I have a dozen important things that I should be doing, but I have no motivation to do any of it.  I just want to sleep, maybe read Runner’s World.  

Sunday 2/12/2012
I took today off from working out again.  I’m hoping that I’ll be pretty much better after today and tomorrow’s scheduled rest and ready to jump back in the pool Tuesday morning.

1 comment: