Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 10: Ant invasions and other nightmares


This was the final week of the Base phase; I did around 11 hours of aerobic training and another hour of strength and core work.  I was sleep-deprived pretty much the whole time, as you’ll see below, I could barely function in class and lab throughout the week.  However, I’m going to start doing the “competitive” plan from my training book now because I think I’ll be way more mentally and physically prepared for the race.  My weekly training time will keep increasing to a maximum of 20 hours per week in April.  So I need to find more time to sleep and still get my homework done.  Goodbye social life (such that it was…).  

Monday 1/30/2012
Rest day, which was great, but everything made me feel stressed out.

Tuesday 1/31/2012
Some days it feels like everyone around you is better, smarter, harder working and faster than you.  Today was one of those days.  While doing my main swim set (1x300, 3x200, 1x300) this morning, my lane mate passed me (flew by me might be more accurate) while doing her warm up.  That was disheartening.  She could be an Olympic swimmer for all I know but I feel like I should have progressed a little more by this point.  Maybe I need a swim coach. Or maybe I need to try harder.   In my journal club this evening, which is largely based on the discussion and critical evaluation of a scientific article, everyone around me was coming up with great questions about the quality of the experiments and ideas for other things to try.  I had one question in mind, but someone else asked before me, so I ended up contributing nothing.  I had read the papers, I just hadn’t gotten anything important out of them.  It didn’t help that I was so tired that I kept nodding off; this is a class of 10 people, including 3 professors, mind you.  Once again, disheartening.  I need a new plan for Tuesdays because I am not functioning to the level that I need to.  This new plan will probably include gummy bears, I didn’t have any tonight and they’re my go to for staying awake.

Wednesday 2/1/2012
I got to do a longer brick this morning (45 min bike to 30 min run) and it was awesome!  I ended up watching Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the USA” music video several times because my Ironman motivational videos didn’t load properly.  It’s a surprisingly good to bike to, at the tempo corresponded well to my RPM’s.  Then I headed out and hauled ass on the run portion.  My heart rate got a little high towards the end when I was going uphill, but I averaged 8:04 min/mile overall and was around 7 min/mile for anything flat or downhill.  Both paces are pretty excellent for me.  I swear I run faster off the bike.  After that workout I’m in much better spirits.

Thursday 2/2/2012
Morning: Well I’m back to feeling upset with myself.  I was up later than usual the last couple nights working on a homework set and ended up sleeping in until 6:50 this morning.  I meant to get up at 4:30 to get in my swim, lifting and 1:15 bike ride before class.  I was still able to ride for 45 minutes but I’ll have to be in lab less today to get everything else done.  Gonzaga’s playing at BYU tonight and I’m going down with a couple bus-loads of other alumni to watch, so I won’t get any workouts in this evening.
Afternoon: My swim workout went really well today.  I did another 2500 yard straight swim, it took me 51 minutes (compared to 45 and 53 minutes for my last two); so while it was slower than I would have liked, my splits for each 500 were negative and my stroke felt smooth and comfortable for the first time an awhile.


Friday 2/3/2012
Well we (Gonzaga) lost last night.  It was unfortunate, but if we’d won I probably would have been hung over today.  I actually felt like I was running faster than usual, I was on the indoor track so I didn’t have my GPS on, but I lapped a girl wearing a Ragnar shirt several times, so that’s got to be worth something.

Saturday 2/4/2012
Question: what’s one of the last things you want to deal with when you’ve just finished a 3 hour trainer ride?  Answer: ants invading your bathroom.   Watching them crawl across the ceiling towards the shower made it really hard to “enjoy” my ice bath.  They just waltzed right in a space in the window frame to help themselves to some water.  Didn’t even knock first!   I gave the interlopers plenty of time to leave on their own, and then I was forced to squish them all.  Oh well, on a more positive note, I made it through my 3 hour bike ride without getting up and walking around!  I even felt powerful and motivated at the end, mostly due to watching the video below repeatedly.   I considered doing some pushups when I was done, but came to my senses and stretched instead.

Sunday 2/5/2012
I had a terrible dream last night about Ironman.  It was ten minutes before the race started and I hadn’t set my bike up (water bottles, race number) or checked it in to the transition area, I hadn’t been body-marked and I couldn’t find my wetsuit.  Of course I missed the start of the race and tried to convince an official to just let me jump in the bike portion.  I’m sure that was just the first of what will be many Ironman bad dreams.  Yay.
On a workout note, my muscles were really sore and tight again for this morning’s run (how shocking…).  They felt better half-way (45 minutes) in, but I think I’ll try to go for a massage tomorrow to loosen up for the coming week.  

Motivational Video:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a pretty stressful week! Hope this week has more of a flow to it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete