Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 15: Already/only half way there!!!


Tuesday
I slept through my alarm this morning, so didn’t have time to swim but did half of the day’s run.  It was a really nice out and I realized how much I missed running in the mornings.  Maybe when it starts getting light out earlier I’ll be able to do more of it. 

Wednesday
I did yesterday’s swim this morning.  There was a cute guy in the lane next to me and I found myself working harder as soon as he showed up.  Actually, he might not be that cute; I think my perception is a little distorted at 5 AM when every male around me is 50 years old and wearing a Speedo.  I did the first 25 minutes of the day’s bike ride when I got home, and then the other 20 with a transition to a 15 minute run in the evening.  I was supposed to do a 30 minute run but got home too late to fit it in before meeting a friend for dinner.  I almost didn’t do any of it since I wouldn’t be able to do the whole thing, but quickly realized that a 15 minute transition run was much better than nothing.  A small victory, but I felt good about it. 

Thursday
I saw 30 deer crossing 500 S (a 6 lane road) and the way to swim this morning; they were crossing against the light, of course!  I was feeling really tired and even getting myself to the gym was like pulling my own tooth.  I got as close to swimming as taking a pre-swim shower when I decided to just lift weights and go home to take care of some things that had been hanging over me for a while.  I felt better after getting those things accomplished (although stressed in a different way now that I know how much I owe in taxes…) and it turns out I can lift heavier weights when I haven’t just swam.  So all in all I feel good about that decision.  I’ll still ride my bike tonight and make up the swim on Saturday.   

Friday
I got my swim in but didn’t have time to run.  I probably could have fit it in between lab experiments but I ended up walking around campus so much getting papers signed that I think I sort of made up for it.  Also, tomorrow’s going to be a really long day, I’d rather go in to it a little fresh.  

Saturday
6:30 AM: 1 hour swim (~2400 yards/1.4 miles?)
8:00 AM: Oatmeal breakfast
10:00 AM: 3 hour outdoor ride (thanks Sean for going with me and helping me get used to riding in traffic)
2:00 PM: 1 hour ride on trainer with transition to 30 minute run

Calories burned: 2700
Calories taken in before 6 PM: 1800 (I was full by that point and had to force myself to eat throughout the evening)
Sunburn lines: 2 (1 leg, 1 arm)
Functionality afterwards: Minimal.  I got my car washed and tried to drive it through myself but apparently you’re not supposed to do that, so somebody had to chase me down, stop the conveyer belt and ask me to wait inside.  I wonder if they ever do studies comparing people’s driving abilities after drinking and after endurance events…

Sunday
I felt pretty good this morning, my neck and shoulders were really tight but my legs were fine.  My legs definitely felt fatigued during today’s 1:30 run.  I realized that time-wise I almost did a half-Ironman yesterday, so no wonder running 10 miles today wasn’t exactly easy.  The good news is that I’m only half way through my training so this should be a lot easier in 6 weeks when I actually race a half.  

Monday
I’m still completely exhausted.  I don’t think I took in enough calories during Saturday’s ride and that’s why my recovery has been so slow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment