Monday, March 19, 2012

Week 16: Spring Break in Moab!


Tuesday 3/13/2012
Some days you sleep through your alarm and barely have time to eat breakfast, much less swim.  Some days you’re in lab for 12 hours doing experiments.  Some days, those are the same day, and on those days, training just doesn’t happen.  

Wednesday 3/14/2012
Thanks to all of yesterday’s hard work in lab I was able to sleep in and still swim and do part of a run in before heading to class (which for some reason we still had even though it’s technically Spring Break).  I was planning on doing weights and finishing my run at the gym in the evening, but by the time I got out of lab it was closed (due to it being Spring Break).  I guess unplanned disruptions like this are why morning workouts are emphasized so much in my training book.  I’m okay with it though, I feel like my body wants a Spring Break as much as my mind does.

Thursday 3/15/2012
Well, I made it through another Ides of March without breaking my nose; I broke it on this date in the second grade and I swear it has psychically warned me of impending injuries ever since.  I’ve never been hurt on March 15th since 1997, but I still take extra caution on that day.  So, no injuries, but I did feel really weak and undernourished in the pool this morning.  I could only complete 1200 yards of straight swimming, and even then I could barely pull myself out of the pool.  I’m not sure what happened, I had my usual gel before starting and had eaten plenty the night before.  I started swimming at 8:30 instead of 5:30, so maybe my body didn’t have enough energy reserves left by that point?  Who knows, whatever it was, it wasn’t fun.  In the afternoon I headed to Moab, UT and Arches National Park with some friends with school.  We went on a pretty easy hike when we got there and then watched Gonzaga kick some West Virginia ass while having dinner at the Moab Brewery.

Friday 3/16/2012
An awesome day in and around Arches!  I rode for 2.5 hours on a flat road along the Colorado River.  It was beautiful but I had a hard time enjoying the view since I was aero 95% of the time and focusing on the road in front of me.  After that I rode towards Arches National Park to meet up with my friends.  The entrance to the park is a pretty long hill; I’m sure it would be nothing to anyone who routinely rides the canyons around Salt Lake, but it looked really intimidating to me from the bottom.  Regardless of how it looked, I did it! No problem!  It was kind of fun actually, especially when cars with bikes on the roof would drive by me.  I felt pretty bad ass to be doing it under my own power.  So a nice little ego boost to end the ride.  

My friends picked me a couple miles later (by that point I felt okay being someone riding in a car with a bike on the roof) and we headed off on a 7 mile hike (don’t worry, I had a couple Clif bars and a giant bottle of Gatorade first).  It was really beautiful (see the selection of pictures below) and a lot of fun hanging out with some great girlfriends that I don’t get to spend a ton of time with.     
  
I realized that a big part of training is convincing yourself that you’re capable of doing various things.  For example, during this ride I proved that I could do the following: remove my water bottle from its holder, drink and put it back (while aero), remove Clif ShotBloks from the back of my jersey, eat a couple, and put them back (while aero), snot rocket (while aero and without getting any on myself!  Sorry if that was TMI…) and ride up a long hill, all without tipping over or otherwise crashing.  A pretty successful day if you ask me.

Saturday 3/17/2012
We headed back to Salt Lake right after breakfast and I was able to ride my trainer while watching Gonzaga play an awesome game against the 2-seeded Ohio State.  We lost by 6 points, but watching them put so much effort in to the game helped me put in a good, hard 2 hour ride even though I was pretty tired.  I did a transition to a 30 minute run and once again felt really weak and like I was going to pass out.  I only had a small Gatorade (110 calories-worth) and a few Honey Stinger chews while biking but it seemed like enough since I’d had a big breakfast and had been snacking on pretzels in the car the whole ride home.  Maybe I was just still depleted from the 6+ hours of activity yesterday.  Maybe beer doesn’t replenish your glycogen stores as well as I thought…

Sunday 3/18/2012
I forced myself to slog through a 1.5 hour run.  I was really tired (gee, why?) so went pretty slowly but I ran the whole thing and didn’t give up and today, that was enough for me.  Now, getting a head start on homework!

Hiking in Devil's Garden


After I got picked up in the park
Partition Arch
Some pretty rocks!



1 comment: