Friday, August 26, 2011

First week of grad school

So this week has been all about adjustments.  Instead of having "getting up early" as some sort of nebulous goal, I actually HAVE to get up early now if I'm going to get in a workout (or two) before heading to class or the lab.  Luckily I only have classes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and I don't really need to be in lab before 10 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Compared to the labs some of my friends are rotating in, I have it pretty easy.  I've been focusing on swimming technique (and not being intimidated by the people in the Master's Swim class).  I think I'm going to incorporate swimming on my own in addition to one or two days of Master's, just so I have the time to slow down and think about all the little things that make up one efficient stroke.  I need to do a sprint tri in the next month and I've been debating doing a 300 m pool swim, that I know I can complete, or an 800 m open water swim, which is much scarier.  I'll probably be fine to swim half a mile in the next couple weeks, especially wearing a wetsuit, but I don't want to have a panic attack and derail the rest of my training either.  But I'll probably go for it and make my goal staying calm.

Tomorrow will be my first long run in Salt Lake.  It'll be around ten miles, which isn't that long for me, but it should be plenty challenging.  I think I'm getting shin splints in my left leg, which I'm not too happy about.  I haven't had them since running track in high school, I think its from all the fast-paced, downhill walking I've been doing in my flip flops.  I really need to replace my Chacos.  Anyway, hopefully that clears up and doesn't get worse.

I did a short ride on my bike Tuesday morning, but it was through traffic and intersections, so I got lots of practice clipping and unclipping and I didn't fall over.  So Sunday I'll do a longer ride, hopefully with a couple of friends.  I keep meeting or reconnecting with people who want to swim, ride or run with me, its pretty awesome.  Hopefully that will help make up for how much my social life has been/is going to be depleted.

In non-training news classes are going really well; I love that I can apply everything I learn to what I'm doing in my lab rotation or am interested in doing later.  Its remarkably easy to stay awake in class when you actually care about what's being taught.  The lab I'm in right now is great too, its pretty quiet but everyone is really nice and helpful.  The PI is having a lab party at her house tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better.  I'm in the Biochemistry dept right now, and they had their first weekly social hour this afternoon, complete with science humor, snacks and of course, beer.  There has been more school-sponsored drinking here in Utah than at a private Catholic university in Washington.  Its shocking really.

That's all for this week,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment