Friday, August 19, 2011

Tiny Rollercoasters

Training already seems to be a bit of a roller coaster.  I go to my first day of swimming, and its fine, I get my bike fit and it seems really comfortable.  I take my bike home, realize I don't know how to get on it when its not on a trainer.  I try to leave the driveway and I start to fall over, tweaking my ankle when I finally get it out of the pedal.  I go to another swim class (this one with a deck coach, I didn't like him very much) and spend the first half barely able to breath and wondering what sort of mistake I've made.  The second half was better in that I could breath and felt less lost in the workout, and I stopped caring that the 50-60 year old overweight men were faster swimmers than me.  I went on a bike ride and did not fall over or further damage my ankle. Running is getting a little easier everyday. So at least the roller coaster seems paused in a positive place right now (not sure if that would be the uphill or the downhill part really). 

In other news, classes and lab rotations start on Monday.  I'm actually getting sort of excited.  About 75% of the people in my grad program are into biking, climbing and/or skiing, so they'll be a fun group to get to know.  I met with the PI (Principle Investigator for any non-nerds) for the first lab I'm rotating in and she seems pretty laid back.  I've already heard some horror stories from other first years, but I think I picked a good one.  Now I'm off to a retreat at a mountain resort with the rest of the program.

Auf Wiedersehen!
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment