Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lessons from the long weekend

Well its been a pretty good week/long weekend.  I discovered that I am capable of drinking two beers, (followed by a liter of water) staying up past midnight, and getting up at 5 AM for a 12 mile run (and feel great doing it).  I am not capable of drinking about twice that amount the following night, getting 5 hours of sleep and then getting up for a 6 AM bike ride.  Choosing sleep in that situation will probably always happen.  Funny how my definition of a crazy night out has changed since college, or even in the past couple months. 

I'm still working on finding a healthy balance between guilt as motivation and guilt as pushing myself too hard.  I meant to do a long bike ride on Monday morning, but hitting the snooze button a few times meant I didn't have time before I met one of my friends to play tennis.  I meant to do it later in the day, but it looked stormy and I hadn't started studying for my first test yet, so it didn't happen then either.  I meant to ride my bike to lab this morning, but after swimming for 75 minutes and doing abs, the bus looked really appealing.  I don't necessarily feel lazy, because I'm doing plenty of other things.  I think I'm scared of getting hit by a car, or falling over again or just struggling in general with the details of riding.  The only place I feel motivated to ride is a flat, multi-use trail in North Salt Lake.  Its good for getting used to being in the aero position, and I don't have to worry about cars or stop lights.  But its a 25 minute drive away, so it tends to get pushed aside first.  So I guess I feel guilty for not getting over my fear of riding near my house.  As one of the friends put it, I "need to just nut up and ride up Emigration Canyon." So maybe that will be my goal for after my first open-water tri (this weekend!): get comfortable on the roads that are near me, so I have fewer excuses for skipping rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment