Monday, January 9, 2012

Back in action! - the end of Week 6

So I finally started feeling like my old self towards the end of the week.  I went out for Thai food Thursday night and got a curry (level 2 spicy), not that spicy on just an eating scale, but on the having- leftovers-for-lunch-and-then-trying-to-run-60-minutes-scale, pretty spicy.  I gave myself two and a half hours to digest it and I still thought I was going to throw up on someone's lawn.  So no more Thai food before running... Otherwise it was a great run though, I headed a different direction, through the Avenues looking for the City Creek Trail (which I think I found, but was on the wrong side of a canyon to actually go up).  I discovered a better way to deal with all of the hills surrounding my apartment, run one block up hill, then turn 90° and run one block downhill.  This kept my heart rate much more constant than all uphill followed by all downhill.

It snowed Friday night, so I didn't feel guilty about doing my long bike ride indoors (I feel like I should start riding hills and work on my fear of tipping over in traffic).  I took an ice bath after my ride, which I haven't done since high school track, and my quads didn't have any of their usual soreness during my Sunday run.  My hour-long run on Sunday was great, the snow storm had cleared out all the pollution in the valley, so I was able to breath a lot easier than "normal".  I hadn't really noticed how bad it had gotten until it went away. 

I also ordered my newest toy this weekend: a Polar RX5 bike computer, heart rate monitor and GPS! Only a few months ago I wouldn't spend more than $50 on heart rate monitor, but I just spent more than 10 x that on this package. Rather, my mom and dad did by way of my Christmas and birthday presents combined (Thanks!).  I'm really looking forward to playing with it, and finding out how fast I've been riding.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh let me know how the heart thing turns out. Tis is your sister btw, on my own blog acct :)

    ReplyDelete