Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week 6: Back from break

So I haven't written in awhile because I was on Christmas break, which meant that I was away from internet, not training as much and therefore didn't have many positive things to say.  Also, once you stop writing down little things daily to post, its difficult to get back in the swing of things.  Anyway, here's a summary of how training has been:

Week 4 (Final's week):
Got my normal workouts in Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Took a final Friday morning (which went really well, I think) and promptly fell asleep for 8 hours (as in I slept from 11 AM to 7 PM).  I didn't get my 45 minute run in that day, but since I was able to fall back asleep 4 hours later, I guess my body needed rest more than running.

Week 5:
On Monday I drove to California to see my mom and did a 45 minute trainer ride when I got in with no videos or music to distract me (I had a lot of energy after driving and drinking coffee for 10 hours).  The pool I was planning on swimming in was closed for the holidays, so I just ran on Tuesday and Thursday.  Wednesday my mom and I took our bikes up to the American River Trail in Sacramento and rode for about an hour.  It wasn't that strenuous, but it was good practice for me to be aero while not on the trainer.  I did pretty well cornering, but my shoulders were pretty sore by the end.  Early Friday morning we flew to Guadalajuara, Mexico and met up with my sister.  The three of us got picked up by some family friends and spent the next week in Emiliano Zapata, Michoachan, a small town in the hills.

Week 6 (but really week nothing):
I did nothing but eat too many tortillas, beans and tamales.  We did a little walking around the town, which was pretty hilly, but I spent a lot of time reading or sitting in a car site-seeing.  The first few days were pretty hard; I couldn't communicate very well with anyone and I wanted to be at home training.  We went to a quincinera the third night (the reason we were there in the first place) and after that I was able to relax and enjoy myself.  Overall it was a good trip, and it was really nice spending time with my mom and sister (especially because we didn't fight at all, which is pretty unusual).  We got back into Sacramento early the morning of Friday the 30th.  I went for a run as soon as we got home, but only made it 20 minutes before I had to got to the bathroom (my digestion gets really screwed up when I travel).  I did a long trainer ride (90 minutes) Saturday morning and felt good.  Sunday, January 1st was 25 weeks until Ironman CDA and my 25th birthday.  I celebrated by going on for 60 minutes run.  And having some cheeseless Papa Murphy's pizza when I got home on Monday.

Week 6 (for real):
So now I'm back in Salt Lake and back into training.  I swam Tuesday morning, and felt awkward and slow; running for an hour Tuesday afternoon felt similar.  Wednesday's 45 minute bike ride with a quick transition to 15 minute run went about the same.  I felt a lot better on my swim this morning, so that was good.  I know you're supposed to ease back in to training after taking a week off, but I'm going for the whole 9 hours this week.  I did a little less the first weekend back and I'm not doing any strength training this week, so I figure that will give my body enough time to adjust.  I might not be 24 anymore but I think it can handle a little abuse :-)


1 comment:

  1. I don't think we normally fight!!! But in any case, you can't fight with the only ppl who speak your language...

    ReplyDelete