Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Run down of the last week (#9)



Tuesday 1/24/12
Afternoon: I am so tired right now.  I got up at 4:30 this morning and swam for an hour, ran on a treadmill for 30 minutes and did strength stuff for another 20.  Its 1:30 in the afternoon and I want a nap.  But knowing me, a nap would turn in to an 18-hour sleep and then I wouldn’t make it to my evening class.  Ugh.  Evening class.  I’m going to have to eat so many gummy bears to stay awake. 
-Also, my swim this morning felt just as labored at last Thursday’s, but at least I was expecting it pushed through it anyway.
Evening: The only thing I gave 100% to today was my workouts.  I was tired and sleepy in class.  I left lab early because I was tired and wanted chocolate.  I should have just bought chocolate (and an Americano) on campus and resumed reading papers, but oh well.  I feel like an inadequate grad student.  But at least I got all my workouts done.  I’m going to bed early, I’ll give lab 110% tomorrow.

Thursday 1/26/12
I skipped my swim this morning because my shoulders were so sore from lifting on Tuesday that I figured I’d either half-ass or it end up hurting myself.  Instead I biked in the morning and did lighter weights in the afternoon.  It’s the start of our first recruitment weekend for incoming grad students, which means free food and beer, but also less sleep, less time to myself and less than ideal eating/drinking habits.

Friday 1/27/12
I meant to get up at 5:30 and do both my swim and 1 hour run in the morning before going in to lab, but I didn’t go to bed until past midnight (my recruit’s flight got delayed 3 hours).  I slept in til 6:30, so I only had time to swim and I had a ton of energy afterwards!  I had forgotten how invigorating swimming is in the mornings.  It seems that following it with lifting weights, running or biking, and then sitting in class for an hour and a half has the opposite effect.  How weird...

Saturday 1/28/12
I had a great time last night at recruitment.  I hadn't hung out with most of my classmates in awhile, so it was nice to see them and not be pressuring myself to go home and sleep.  The downside of that was not getting to be until 2 and drinking 5 beers (Utah beers, but still...), which isn't a big deal until you get an hour into a 2:45 trainer ride and realize that you're struggling way more than usual and you're not even half way done yet.  

Sunday 1/29/12
I took it much easier on the beer last night, but still felt really tired/slow on my 1:15 run this morning.  My friend Sarah joined me for the last 45 minutes, which was fun.  I got to show her one of my favorite streets to run down and my "stair-stepping" method for dealing with the more moderate hills around our apartment.  Then we had pancakes and I took a nap in front of my fireplace, not a bad Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment